Who are Little Chicago Developments???

Moose Jaw City Council and City Hall discussion

Re: Who are Little Chicago Developments???

Postby catrain13 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Head owner of The Tunnels is originally from Moose Jaw, sorry can't remember his name.

Won the lottery or something and bought or invented Petceteria (pet shop and supplies), sold that and set up the Tunnels.

He is now in Vancouver. They run a bigger show in Vancouver dealing with west coast history. One can only hope that their story is alot more honest than the complete fabrications in The Tunnels of Moose Jaw.
catrain13

Postby Juney » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:00 am

catrain13 wrote:Head owner of The Tunnels is originally from Moose Jaw, sorry can't remember his name.

Won the lottery or something and bought or invented Petceteria (pet shop and supplies), sold that and set up the Tunnels.

He is now in Vancouver. They run a bigger show in Vancouver dealing with west coast history. One can only hope that their story is alot more honest than the complete fabrications in The Tunnels of Moose Jaw.

I think you're referring to Danny Guillaume? For the record, Daniel Urbani founded Petcetera-google him and prove me wrong. Also, "Storyeum", the "big show dealing with West Coast history" went belly-up and into Receivership in Oct. of 2006.
Maintain justice and do right.
Juney

Postby Juney » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:23 am

According to the May 12 2004 issue of the Vancouver Courier, Guillaume's first business venture was West Coast Video launched in 1988, which he sold to Blockbuster in 1995. Here's where the two stories part company-two Dannys claiming they both founded Petcetera.
Danny G.: "I remember this dinner conversation with my wife and two couples and all they talked about were their animals." Guillaume looked at what was available and saw only "small, lousy" pet stores. After market research, he forged ahead and opened the "ultimate pet store".
In the Courier article, Guillaume states he used the money from the sale of West Coast Video to start Petcetera in 1997. It also states he sold Petcetera in 1999 to U.S. giant Petco.

Petcetera Corporate Information on Daniel Urbani-"Founder and vision of the development, concept, and design of the Petcetera store, Mr.Urbani initiated the foundation in March 1996. In the beginning, Mr. Urbani traveled extensively throughout North America over an eighteen-month period reviewing and analyzing over 500 pet superstores. Throughout this period and prior to Mr. Urbani finalizing the Petcetera concept, over $1M was invested in research and development.
Mr. Urbani is also the Founder, CEO and Chairman of P.A.W.S., Petcetera Animal Welfare Society. This unique non-profit society was founded in 1997....."

For what it's worth :)
Juney

Postby Juney » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:35 am

One more quote from 12 May 2004 Vancouver Courier, also for what it's worth :)
"Storyeum's birth is directly connected to the Tunnels of Moose Jaw. On a family visit back to Saskatchewan a few years ago, Guillaume noticed how dusty and depressing Moose Jaw had become, and decided it needed a change that would inspire hope.
Already attracted to the concept of historical attractions, and aware, through research, that tourists are looking for meaninful experiences, Guillaume came up with the idea of updating the Tunnels of Moose Jaw.
The Tunnels already existed, but were operated by a non-profit organization that had no money for improvements. The result, in Guillaume's estimation, was "a little hokey"-it was small and had no actors, sets or multimedia components.
Guillaume bought the attraction, investing $2.2million of mostly his own money transforming the tunnels into a tourism bonanza. When the tunnels opened in 2000, they attracted 2000 more people than the projected 100,000 visitors. A year later, the attraction was chosen Best Family Entertainment Centre in Canada by Attractions Canada. Now the number-one historical attraction in Saskatchewan, it has revitalized Moose Jaw's once vacancy-plagued city centre. An estimated $40million in new development has moved in-not bad for a town of 34,000."
Juney

Postby truth defender » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:36 pm

A this Monday's council meeting the Little Chicago Developments Group has applied to close the portion of River Street they purchased for $1 and to consolidate the lots they own in the Zero block of River Street West in preperation for their hotel complex.
According to the documents the Little Chicago group has still not acquired the other property from the Tunnels group.
The area is presently zoned C2 and a hotel complex is an allowable project in this type of zone.
truth defender

Postby jackmerlin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:07 am

truth defender wrote: According to the documents the Little Chicago group has still not acquired the other property from the Tunnels group.

Wasn't there a post on this site a couple years ago about a lawsuit between Guillaume and one well known tunnels/downtown proponent/investor type?? IIRC the number that was being bantied about was around 400k................
jackmerlin

Postby Al » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:45 am

I'm hearing that the offer for that old building was $1. The owner says "no way" but after recent success with getting the City to part with a whole block for that price, the builder may have an artificially inflated sense of confidence that $1 is too much to pay for just 1 building.

I know fair market value may be $400k, but who can refuse $1? That's better than nothing.
You can't miss me at a FHHR facility. I'm the one wearing a mask.
Al

Postby truth defender » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:42 pm

What I have heard - still trying to confirm this more with another investing party - is that they changed the layout of the new hotel development due to the impasse with the Tunnels' group.
In order to get around the Tunnels' group they needed to swing the hotel around and also acquire the street area for the re-design.
That has been the big holdup.

As far as the price of the land I know for a fact that the people behind the new hotel have access to some very deep pockets financially so I am not at this time worrying about their finances.
From what I could find out they just were not prepared to pay what the Tunnels group wanted. To pay that would have made the project far too costly. It may not have been a cash transfer but far, far too large of a chunk of the pie that was unpalatable. There has to be the expectations of a decent return in order to make the new hotel development attractive to the outside investors.

The hotel is a go it will not from what I have learnt they are building a parking facility as part of the entire layout not that the parking facility is going to be the focus of the project.

And yes, the outside investors (not from Moose Jaw) have very deep pockets indeed but they are also not a charity for locals to request alms from....

If you ask me this is the new boys moving in on the old boys turf so to speak..... :mrgreen:
truth defender

Postby Orvile » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:08 pm

jackmerlin wrote:
truth defender wrote: According to the documents the Little Chicago group has still not acquired the other property from the Tunnels group.

Wasn't there a post on this site a couple years ago about a lawsuit between Guillaume and one well known tunnels/downtown proponent/investor type?? IIRC the number that was being bantied about was around 400k................

http://www.canlii.org/en/sk/skqb/doc/20 ... kqb122.pdf
Orvile

Postby truth defender » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:16 pm

Orvile wrote:
jackmerlin wrote:

http://www.canlii.org/en/sk/skqb/doc/20 ... kqb122.pdf

Thanks Orvile this is starting to explain a lot about what is going on here...... :mrgreen:
truth defender

PreviousNext

Return to City Council