Movember

General discussion about topics that don't fit in the other forums

Movember

Postby South Hill Steve » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:38 pm

badwall, oops, I mean Brad Wall is raising $ to help battle prostate cancer and support male mental health initiatives. Head over to movember.ca, hit donate and type in Brad Wall if this is something you'd like to support. And he will sport a moustache if over 3 grand is raised by Nov. 1. Just for your consideration. And you are over 40 badwall!! steve
South Hill Steve

Re: Movember

Postby truth defender » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:52 pm

South Hill Steve wrote:badwall, oops, I mean Brad Wall is raising $ to help battle prostate cancer and support male mental health initiatives. Head over to movember.ca, hit donate and type in Brad Wall if this is something you'd like to support. And he will sport a moustache if over 3 grand is raised by Nov. 1. Just for your consideration. And you are over 40 badwall!! steve

I'm thinking there might be a couple of NDP people doing the same if that scares anyone.
truth defender

Postby badwall » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:58 am

South Hill Steve wrote:badwall, oops, I mean Brad Wall is raising $ to help battle prostate cancer and support male mental health initiatives. Head over to movember.ca, hit donate and type in Brad Wall if this is something you'd like to support. And he will sport a moustache if over 3 grand is raised by Nov. 1. Just for your consideration. And you are over 40 badwall!! steve

This is just a bs publicity stunt on his part to appear folksy. No different than when he goes on CJME to talk football. It is not unique. Others have done it before him. And yes, they were left of center.
I would hope people already give to the cancer society. But if you do want to donate to prostate cancer it is possible to do so without boosting Wall's profile.
badwall

Postby South Hill Steve » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:56 am

badwall wrote:

This is just a bs publicity stunt on his part to appear folksy. No different than when he goes on CJME to talk football. It is not unique. Others have done it before him. And yes, they were left of center.
I would hope people already give to the cancer society. But if you do want to donate to prostate cancer it is possible to do so without boosting Wall's profile.

Why so cynical? Because of his already high profile and popularity, the Premier is in a position to raise quite a bit of money for this cause. Don't support it if you don't want to.
Re: Canadian Cancer Society. We used to donate to this cause and I canvassed for the Alzheimer's Society for a few years as well. That is until a couple reports last summer, one was CBC Marketplace I believe, showed them to be a couple of the very worst charities in Canada value-wise. The percentage of each dollar donated that went to administration, fundraising expenses and salaries was, in my opinion, unacceptable. We still support a few causes, of course, but I tend to try to find out how the donations are spent. Must confess I didn't check out the Movember group before I made a small donation.
South Hill Steve

Postby cricket » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:59 am

South Hill Steve wrote:
badwall wrote:

Why so cynical? Because of his already high profile and popularity, the Premier is in a position to raise quite a bit of money for this cause. Don't support it if you don't want to.
Re: Canadian Cancer Society. We used to donate to this cause and I canvassed for the Alzheimer's Society for a few years as well. That is until a couple reports last summer, one was CBC Marketplace I believe, showed them to be a couple of the very worst charities in Canada value-wise. The percentage of each dollar donated that went to administration, fundraising expenses and salaries was, in my opinion, unacceptable. We still support a few causes, of course, but I tend to try to find out how the donations are spent. Must confess I didn't check out the Movember group before I made a small donation.

Trying to imagine Brad Wall with a mustache. Go for it!
And I totally agree with your comments on the Cancer Society (as well as many others). I watched the same program and was flabbergasted and have since limited donations to a very select few. Disgraceful that of every dollar I donate only mere pennies are actually used for the purpose intended.
cricket

Postby badwall » Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:55 pm

South Hill Steve wrote:
badwall wrote:

How's about he did something truly charitable like being seen at a food bank or soup kitchen feeding the hoimeless at Xmas? But that would be admitting that those two institutions are doing booming business.
badwall

Postby South Hill Steve » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:41 pm

Hey, buddy. Lets each of us send a small donation to this cause. You send 20 bucks to some lefty hoping to look like Tom Sellick and I've supported the cause already via Brad Wall. Any other forum members...seems like a worthy cause to (over 40/male) me!
South Hill Steve

Postby mmmhmm » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:19 pm

How's about he did something truly charitable like being seen at a food bank or soup kitchen feeding the hoimeless at Xmas? But that would be admitting that those two institutions are doing booming business.

I've taken a truck boxes full of food to the MJ Sally Ann and the Souls Harbour Rescue Mission a number of times over the years. By spending the cash myself and hitting a few sales along the way, I guarantee I got maximum bang for my donated buck...
mmmhmm

Postby zephyrn » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Safeways usually asks if a person wishes to donate two dollars for something or another...and I always donate.
zephyrn

Postby badwall » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:56 pm

mmmhmm wrote:

I've taken a truck boxes full of food to the MJ Sally Ann and the Souls Harbour Rescue Mission a number of times over the years. By spending the cash myself and hitting a few sales along the way, I guarantee I got maximum bang for my donated buck...

Great. :)
I meant Wall though..... lol
I do not think he knows the concept of giving til it hurts. Cutting til it hurts? Yeah that one he knows.
badwall

Next

Return to Miscellaneous