CP Cutting 4,500 Jobs By 2016

Moose Jaw News commentary and discussion

Re: CP Cutting 4,500 Jobs By 2016

Postby Al » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:38 pm

First you say

I can't believe you can look around this town and say we have less business than the 90's.

Then;

speede5 wrote:That growth started mid 90's Al.

So tell me. Is the "mid-90's" in the "90's" or not.

What dealers closed? I considered that in my post. Village was a jeep eagle and closed and became village. Nissan had a tiny shop where peavey mart is but they were gone from mj for years. I guess Patterson got swallowed up by Murray, so you could count that as a loss, but Murray expanded as did bradish/western dodge.

You can't possibly say that Moose Jaw was thriving in 1990.

And you can't possibly be making the assertion that your perception of growth constitutes actual growth.
Congratulations Moose Jaw! You're ENTITLED to your new Council.
Al

Postby Al » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:40 pm

speede5 wrote:
Al wrote:I* haven't enumerated the business, but since speede can judge the prosperity of an entire City through his perception instead of quantitative data, then I'd like to take a crack at it.

And btw, pretty much every nimby opinion, including yoursis based on perception. Give me a break. :roll:

No, that's not true. Some people CAN base their comments on "quantitative data", you choose not to however.

Your definition of growth is "well, pattersons sold and Murray's got the franchise, so that's how I measure growth".

Try again.
Congratulations Moose Jaw! You're ENTITLED to your new Council.
Al

Postby speede5 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Since your such a genius Al, why don't you provide that quantitative data that show's how I'm wrong.
speede5

Postby Chip II » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:10 pm

I agree with speede... the city has grown in recent years... take a look at Thatcher Drive East, which was basically empty a few years ago.
Chip II

Postby Placid » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:27 pm

Chip II wrote:I agree with speede... the city has grown in recent years... take a look at Thatcher Drive East, which was basically empty a few years ago.

i agree with chip... the city has grown in recent years... now all you new residents pay your taxes early cause the multiplex needs a subsidy... i'm hoping to take sharon to a shania twain concert there this spring and i'm tired of waiting if you know what i mean.
Placid

Postby stirlingmillar » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:49 pm

This isn't about the growth in the hotel, and automotive sales sectors. This is about a company that employs a significant number of people, and hire a number of people annually from the local area.

There are people that were relying on those jobs to be here... What does "Cut 4500 jobs mainly through attrition" mean? Well it means when someone quits or retires in certain positions then that employee, or one succeeding him isn't replaced. That means young people that were counting on jobs being here from CP are going to have to look elsewhere. Some will be able to snag a job with CN... In my opinion a great company to work for, and is just getting over the effects of Harrison style management. (and years of minimal hiring) There would be only a small number of conductors hired out of Regina anyway so the odds of them staying here are very small if they get hired. (Most likely they'd be hired out of Saskatoon, Melville or Biggar.) The class I was hired in there were 5 conductor trainees hired... Myself, three out of Regina and one from Sudbury. I was let go, the guy from Sudbury went back to Sudbury I believe and the other three are working out of Melville. So it is safe to say that there are a number of people that will be either underemployed, or moving out of the city to find work.

If we really want to go into the number of new car dealers there are in the city now as opposed to the 1980s & 1990s:

Hillcrest Mazda - gone
Nissan - Gone (Now there is Western Nissan)
Datsun - Gone <-- not 100% sure about his one though whether it existed
Patterson GM- Gone
Family Lincoln - Gone
Bradish Chrysler - Gone
Western Dodge - Here
Band City GM - Here now Murray's
Scott Ford - Here now Moose Jaw Ford
Jeep - Gone (Village Ford now in location)
Western Honda
Western Hyundai
Evans Toyota - Here now Moose Jaw Toyota

Last time I checked dropping the number of dealerships by 3 does not count as growth. Why am I not including used car dealerships in this number? - they typically don't have service departments attached to them.
stirlingmillar

Postby old fart » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:15 pm

I used to buy stuff at Kaufman's and Mighty Mart that now I buy at Wal-Mart. Though having a Walmart is nice it doesn't necessarily mean great economic growth given they are just about every where. Heck, I can even remember the car lot where what used to be Bun n' Bottle is. Buy a Dodge here, buy a Dodge there.

The more important list includes Raider Industries, the cable plant, Sash and Door, Clorox, XL Beef, soon to be VVC, etc. Back in the mid to late 80's the official story for the Base was 1500 jobs, 1200 military and 300 civilian. How much less than that now?
old fart

Postby speede5 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:28 pm

old fart wrote:The more important list includes Raider Industries, the cable plant, Sash and Door, Clorox, XL Beef, soon to be VVC, etc. Back in the mid to late 80's the official story for the Base was 1500 jobs, 1200 military and 300 civilian. How much less than that now?

Good point. Base is probably about half that number, doing a quick spitball, but my perception could be way off. Haha. With all those things closing, and the population not changing, what's keeping people employed and spending money? Oil? Kalium? Construction?
speede5

Postby suki » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Yeah Stirling, I wonder if CPR is being really run that innefficiently that they could cut a quarter of the workforce or not. A friend of mine (RIP) used to be a union leader in the CAW at CPR, and he never seemed very overstressed about his work. But I know others at the railway who suffered a lot of stress because of the scheduling habits of the railway, being on-call, etc. The CN model, of being a 'scheduled' railway, seemed to provide a better work-life balance, and probably improved productivity.

The risk the railway runs is that this move, eliminating people 'by attrition', basically entrenches the deadwood, while creating a significant demographic gap in their workforce (ie: the younger crowd). I don't know how this is all that compatible with the Hunter Harrison style of creating a so-called "precision railroad" as he did at CN (although 'precision railroad' may very well have been a management fad....and buying Illinois Central at the bottom of the long-term cycle may very well have been a stroke of luck for Harrison) out of CP.
suki

Postby suki » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:48 pm

old fart wrote:I
The more important list includes Raider Industries, the cable plant, Sash and Door, Clorox, XL Beef, soon to be VVC, etc. Back in the mid to late 80's the official story for the Base was 1500 jobs, 1200 military and 300 civilian. How much less than that now?

Inventronics. Most of the oil refinery. Canada Packers' operations not only at the XL plant, but also to the east of MJ on Athabasca. Phillips Cable. Etc.

What's really left in Moose Jaw? Basically retail/service industry jobs, and similar government jobs.
suki

PreviousNext

Return to News